Teach at CMS
At Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, we are looking for bright, energetic, motivated, and dedicated teachers. We want individuals who will be inspiring leaders in and out of the classroom, raise achievement for every student and will never settle with the status quo. We want teachers that students will remember and talk about for years to come. Learn more about our district and the great county we serve by reading the information below or if you are ready, apply now!
WHY IS CHARLOTTE MECKLENBURG SCHOOLS ONE OF THE BEST DISTRICTS IN AMERICA FOR TEACHERS?
- We are a nationally recognized leader in academic achievement and instructional programs.
- We have a small-district feel even though we have over 175 schools. Click here for a listing of all CMS Schools
- We are a diverse district with students from 183 different countries.
- We offer a wide range of instructional environments for teachers, including traditional schools, magnet programs, and career and technical education programs.
- We are supported by parents and the broader community. We have over 41,000 volunteers at CMS.
- We have a 1:1 student/technology ratio and are a leading district in integrating digital learning and teaching.
- We offer our 148,000 students the best education they deserve. The four-year cohort graduation rate at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools is 89%.
While our great city has a lot to offer such as concerts, sporting events, festivals, shopping, restaurants, and outdoor activities, we would particularly like for you to come to Charlotte and see our schools. This will allow you to get to know our students and staff along with the culture of our district. If you are a licensed candidate interested in scheduling a micro-tour please email us with dates and schools you are interested in seeing and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools recruitment team selects highly qualified applicants in critical need areas for an opportunity to secure an early guaranteed contract. The Selected Teacher Advanced Recruits (STAR), requires candidates to pass a vigorous application review and virtual interview. STAR candidates are a diverse and talented mix of educators who have shown leadership, academic achievement, and potential for success in the classroom. We specifically look for candidates who are interested in teaching in high-need (Title 1) schools.
Some STAR candidates have prior teaching experience outside of CMS while others are recent college graduates with a record of excellence.
Requirements to be eligible for the STARs Program include:
- Licensed to teach in a high-priority subject area (Science, Math, Exceptional Children/Special Education, ESL, Spanish, Elementary Education)
- Academic achievement – Overall Cumulative GPA of a 3.2/4.0 scale or greater
- Leadership experience through work or extracurricular roles
- Experience with high poverty, diverse populations or Title 1 schools
- Have not previously been an employee of CMS
- Experienced Teachers must show evidence of effectiveness
Beginning Teacher Development and Support
- Beginning Teacher Academy
- Assigned Mentor and Monthly School-Based Support Meetings
- Peer Observations, Classroom Coaching Sessions and More!
Teacher Leadership Positions
Many of our schools offer career paths that allow you to stay in the classroom while continuing to advance as a teacher and teacher-leader, reaching many more students with excellent instruction, receiving and giving great support, and earning up to $20,000 more in addition to your base salary.
Click here to learn more!
Teacher Loan Forgiveness
The Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program, offered through the US Department of Education, is intended to encourage individuals to enter and continue in the teaching profession. Under this program, if you teach full-time for five complete and consecutive academic years in certain elementary and secondary schools and educational service agencies that serve low-income families, and meet other qualifications, you may be eligible for forgiveness of up to a combined total of $17,500 on your Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans and your Subsidized and Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans.
For more information on this program, please click here.
The Licensure Department web page provides additional information about North Carolina teacher certification.
Professional educators are able to apply for and update their North Carolina licenses online. Instructions and more information are available within on the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction website.