Petition for Diploma Form
To all former students:
Effective July 1, 2009, the North Carolina General Assembly ended the graduation requirement of the North Carolina Competency Tests in Reading and Mathematics, the North Carolina Computer Skills Tests, and their alternate assessments.
If you were enrolled in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (CMS) in a graduation class between 1981 and 2009, this legislative change may affect you. You may petition CMS for your high school diploma if you met all state and local board requirements for a diploma except the achievement of a passing score on the competency test(s) and/or computer skills test(s). If the previously stated criteria apply to you, you received a certificate instead of a diploma. Please indicate your desire to obtain your diploma by completing the Petition for Diploma Form. The petition is available at any CMS high school, the CMS Records Office (Smilth Family Center, 1600 Tyvola Road, Charlotte, NC 28210) or on-line by clicking here.
Students who graduated with a certificate in 2007, 2008, or 2009 are to submit their petition to the last CMS high school attended.
Students who graduated with a certificate prior to 2007 are to submit their petition to:
CMS School Counseling Office
Oakhurst Admin. Building ATTN: Media Center
4511 Monroe Road
Charlotte, NC 28205.
Instructions for Submitting Diploma Petition
- You must complete the petition in its entirety by providing all requested information.
- You must provide the necessary identification: picture ID, last four digits of social security number.
- You must pay the required $3.00 fee.
- Please allow ninety (90) days for petitions to be processed. Petitions will not be processed on the day they are submitted.
- School personnel will review your academic records to determine if you now qualify for a diploma. You will be contacted in writing at the address that you provide as to whether you qualify for a diploma.
- If it is determined that you are eligible to receive a diploma, one will be ordered for you to pick up. An additional charge will be incurred for diplomas to be mailed. The date on the diploma will be the year the petition is approved.
- Also, you will be provided a copy of your transcript with a note of explanation attached. The actual transcript itself will not be changed.
- Please keep in mind that petitions for diplomas that meet the requirements will be honored until July 1, 2014.