Smith Family Center
What is the Smith Family Center?
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools is committed to enhancing customer-friendly service to families. As a result, we are opening the first ever year-round Family Application Center located at 1600 Tyvola Rd. This family-friendly center will house our Student Placement, International Center, Bright Beginnings, and Magnet Programs Offices.
What services will be provided?
Here are some of the services families will enjoy at the Smith Family Center:
- Student Placement will assist families who need help enrolling with the district. Information is available on schools, CMS programs and special services. Parents can meet with a specialist to discuss placement options and complete the enrollment process.
- The International Center will provide enrollment information and assessment for students who speak a language other than English. Parents can receive assistance with enrollment, English language assessment, and immunization requirements. Assessment will include language proficiency to comply with existing federal guidelines and to determine eligibility for the English as a Second Language Program.
- The Magnet Programs office will assist families with information about the district’s magnet school opportunities. CMS recognizes that every child has unique interests and talents and the magnet programs are designed to address those specific needs.
- The Bright Beginnings Pre-K Program is an award-winning, literacy-based initiative for 4-year-olds with identified educational needs. Eligibility is determined based on a formal screening process. At the Family Application Center, parents who are interested can find out more and set up appointments to have their children screened for the Pre-K program.
How do I enroll my child in a school at the Smith Family Center?
- New students can enroll at their home school or at the Family Application Center to find out about magnet schools and other options in their transportation zone.
- A family who wants to attend their home school can go directly to that school and enroll.
- Each school will verify the appropriate proof of residency documentation to ensure that the family lives within the home school area. Families will then complete the enrollment process at that school.
- Families who are new to the school district and want to explore other placement options should go to the Family Application Center to learn more about schools in their transportation zone and complete the enrollment process.
Where is the Smith Family Center located?
The Family Application Center is located at 1600 Tyvola Rd. Where do I call to get more information?
For more information call:
Student Placement at 980-343-5335
International Center at 980-343-3784
Magnet Programs at 980-343-5030
Bright Beginnings Pre-K Services at 980-343-5950