- Independent – we report directly to the superintendent and are not part of another department.
- Impartial – we will not take sides in a dispute; we advocate for fairness and equity; we have no personal stake in the outcome.
- Informal – communication with the Ombudsman's Office does not put the district on notice of a problem. It's a place to explore options and work towards resolution in an informal way.
- Confidential – the identity of those who contact us is kept confidential, except for threats of imminent risk of serious harm. We provide a safe place for discussing concerns.
WHO WE SERVE
- Parents/guardians (and prospective families)
- Community members
WHAT WE DO
- Listen to and clarify concerns
- Help visitors explore a range of solutions
- Provide information about rights for dealing with concerns
- Facilitate informal dispute resolution
- Coach individuals on how to prepare for difficult conversations
WHAT OUR OFFICE DOES NOT DO
- Take personnel action against school staff
- Overturn student disciplinary decisions
- Provide legal advice
- Intervene when parties are involved in legal or administrative proceedings
ISSUES WE HANDLE
- Special education
WHEN TO CONTACT US
- You're facing a problem you have not been able to resolve by speaking to the school principal and learning community
- You don't know where to go for help
- You're having trouble finding the information that you need
- You have requests for information that go unanswered
- Communication between the parent and school has broken down