We are excited that you are considering student teaching in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools! Student teaching is the capstone experience to any teacher preparation program. Student teachers in CMS gain practical, hands-on experience through classroom and professional development activities working in an environment unsurpassed elsewhere.
With the guidance of your cooperating teacher, student teachers will improve their instructional strategies, assessment practices, and classroom management skills. Cooperating teachers and the school administrators are key figures in making student teachers feel welcome to our schools. The student teachers in CMS are warmly welcomed at their placement sites, enhancing their feeling of being accepted as a member of the professional staff.
The CMS Talent Acquisition Team works collaboratively with local colleges and universities to provide aspiring teachers with a field placement as well as support and guidance through the final stages of the traditional teacher certification process.
Our school district also works with field placements for internships in student support services such as but not limited to school social workers, school psychologists, physical therapists, and speech language pathologists.
In order to provide more insight into the process, we have created a Handbook for Student Teachers and Interns. Prospective student teachers and interns as well as prospective colleges and universities can review this information. The handbook covers requirements and responsibilities for both student teachers/interns and cooperating teachers/supervisors.
If you are with a School of Education, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure you have a MOU on file as a partner school.
CMS Application for Student Teachers/Interns
Student-teachers/Interns must complete three sections of the CMS Online Application (the General Information, Voluntary and Background Information pages) prior to the start of your experience.
If you would like to be considered for full time employment with the district, you will need to log back into your application and complete all sections.
Requirements for Student Teachers:
- Completion of CMS Orientation
- CMS instructional application
- Background Authorization Check (at CMS’ expense)
- Drug Testing (at CMS’ expense)
- Health Examination (at student’s expense)
Cooperating teachers are:
- Experienced in a wide variety of teaching methods, techniques, and materials.
- Able to effectively communicate knowledge and experience and offer ongoing feedback with constructive criticism.
- Accepting of you as a professional colleague.
- Committed to expanding upon the university/college’s teacher training program.
Requirements for Colleges/Universities:
- Letter from the Director of Field Experiences sent to address below
- Affiliation Agreement from College/University sent to address below
- Assigned University Faculty for Observations
- Student Liability Insurance
If you have additional questions, please email email@example.com