Scope of Work
The communications team is responsible for maintaining effective communications within Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. It also serves parents and other members of the community and the news media by delivering clear, timely and accurate information about CMS. We communicate the objectives and accomplishments of CMS so that the public effectively understands district functions and goals.
The communications staff encourages and coordinates news coverage with media, arranges staff interviews and provides responses to requests for information to promote full public understanding of CMS issues, policies and accomplishments.
As a department, we:
- Provide timely and complete responses to requests for information pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
- Produce publications with substantive and timely information.
- Support the individual schools, Board of Education, superintendent, chief operating officer and other executive staff in actively communicating Board actions, new education policies and procedures and CMS programs.
- Build community support for Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.
In order to provide timely information both internally and externally, CMS communicates using the following tactics:
- Media releases and advisories: Please contact a CMS media relations representative to add your contact information to our distribution list.
- Website: The CMS website provides daily news and information updates on policies, schools, programs and emergency notifications.
- Social media: CMS posts regularly to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Facebook page, and @CharMeckSchools Twitter account. We can also be found on Pinterest. For media-specific information distributed via Twitter, follow @CMS_MR.
- CMS TV: Stay engaged by following the CMS YouTube channel.
- CMS Insider: CMS Insider is a weekly employee e-newsletter, distributed to all 18,000-plus district employees.
- CMS Connections: CMS Connections is a monthly e-newsletter, distributed to community members, and business and government leaders.
- Media briefings: Media briefings are live biweekly updates led by the superintendent to communicate important and timely information to the public.
- Connect 5 telephone system: The Connect 5 telephone system provides CMS families and employees with important information on the district and information specific to their school or program. If you are not receiving alerts, please update your information by contacting your student’s school.