- LaTarzja Henry has been named chief of staff. Henry was executive director of Community Partnerships & Family Engagement.
- Laura Francisco has been named assistant superintendent of support services. Francisco, who was formerly chief of staff, will support CMS operations.
- Dr. Matthew Hayes has been named deputy superintendent of academics. Dr. Hayes was community superintendent for the Northwest Learning Community.
- Carol Stamper has been named deputy superintendent of operations. Stamper was chief operating officer.
- Kathy Elling has been named chief school performance officer. Elling was associate superintendent for student services.
“These changes will allow us to better align our work to support schools and students,” Winston said. “The goal is to provide more efficient and responsive support for schools so that we can deliver on the goals set in the 2024 strategic plan, What Matters Most.”
The Board of Education voted unanimously to name Winston as superintendent on Aug. 2. Winston had been the district’s chief community relations and engagement officer since 2017. He is a former journalist who joined CMS in 2004 as an English teacher at Vance High School, where he taught journalism and was an adviser to the school newspaper. Winston joined the district’s communications department two years later and has served in a number of CMS executive leadership roles, including chief of staff from 2011-2017.
Other appointments made at the meeting are:
Dr. Raymond Barnes has been named community superintendent for Central Learning Community 1. Barnes has been executive director for Project Leadership and Investment for Transformation (L.I.F.T.) and Central Learning Community 1 since 2018.
Donevin Hoskins has been named principal of West Charlotte High. He has been principal at Ben L. Smith High in Guilford County Schools, Greensboro, since 2013; principal at Towers High, DeKalb County School System, Decatur, Ga., from 2012 to 2013; and director of student achievement at the Academy for Urban School Leadership in Chicago from 2010 to 2012. Hoskins was principal of International Business and Communications at Olympic High from 2008 to 2010, area administrator for student services for the West Learning Community from 2007 to 2008 and assistant principal at Zebulon B. Vance High (2002 to 2007) and E.E. Waddell High (2000 to 2002). He was also a teacher and dean at Franklin Senior High (1990 to 1998) and a teacher at Morgan City Junior High (1988 to 1990) and Morgan City Senior High (1986 to 1987); all three schools are in St. Mary Parish Schools, Centerville, La. Hoskins has a bachelor’s degree in business administration/marketing and a master’s degree in education, administration and supervision, both from Southern University, Baton Rouge, La.
Dr. Fahnie Shaw has been named director of Family Engagement and Community Outreach, Title I. Dr. Shaw was previously a program and evaluation specialist.
Dr. Pa Thao has been named director of elementary education. Dr. Thao was previously a literacy specialist.